Questions? Let's chat! Questions? Let's chat!

Listing TPS on a College Application or Other Form


TPS is a U.S. accredited private school. We serve educational requirements for students in every U.S. state and worldwide. We support part-time enrollment (enrolling in some but not all courses for a student) or full-time enrollment (enrolling at least all of the student’s required core courses with TPS). We offer optional standard and honors diploma programs. We offer official transcripts with accreditation signature and seal.

However, taking courses from TPS — or even pursuing a diploma with TPS — does not mean that you should or even may list TPS as “your school” on a college application, scholarship application, or official state form. Under U.S. laws, even if you are pursuing a TPS diploma, your legal status is “independent” (“home educated” or “homeschooled”) because you are not registered in your local state school that manages all of your course selections, class schedules, and academic options, and controls all your academic records. For a U.S. student, there is almost no instance when you should list TPS as your registered school for college or scholarship applications or official state record purposes (e.g., driver’s license applications). Besides being legally inaccurate, this could hinder your application process because usually the “independent” path has simpler requirements in an application process. You should list yourself as “independent” or “home educated” and then list TPS as an accredited course provider if academic performance records are required.

There may be instances where you must prove that you are “full-time student” or in an “accredited degree-producing program” (this is often required by countries outside the U.S., particularly where there is no legal “independent student” status). In these instances, for TPS Diploma students, TPS will provide on request a certification letter stating that you are “enrolled as a full-time student in an accredited diploma program” with TPS. For students not in the TPS Diploma program, we cannot legally provide this certification because we have no standing in oversight and certification of your education requirements.

If you have a legitimate basis for and need to list TPS as your school, please provide [email protected] as the primary contact option. If you must list an address or phone number, our corporate address is below. However, this address is for corporate business only. Academic or student affairs will not be processed from this location.

The Potter’s School
8279 Raindrop Way
Springfield, VA 22153

More detailed guidance for listing TPS on college applications are below, first for U.S. colleges and then for colleges outside the U.S.

Applying to U.S. colleges

If you are a U.S. student taking TPS courses (or some combination of online and local courses that you choose for yourself in managing your own academic plan), then you are legally “homeschooled” under the laws of your state.

If you are a non-U.S. student taking TPS courses, you may be homeschooled (if your nation’s laws permit it) or you may be using TPS as your “accredited diploma program” (if you are in the TPS diploma program). In all of these cases, for both U.S. and non-U.S. students applying to U.S. colleges using TPS courses, you should apply as a “homeschooled” or “home educated” student. On applications you should write “homeschooled” or “home educated” rather than listing TPS (or any other course providers) as your registered school of record. Listing a school implies that the school controlled all of your academic requirements, course selection and academic records, which is not true if you managed your own high school career (U.S. or non-U.S.).

When the application asks for information about your school, list your home address and write “Not applicable” in any blocks asking for class rank, size, or other related institutional data. If the application seems not to support your home school background, then ask the college how to fill out the application as a homeschooler (you may even be using the wrong application). Note that the “common app” can be filled out as a homeschooler. In filling out the forms, do not just list some school or enter some address of one of your local or online course providers, as this could lead to problems with the reviewers understanding and processing your application.

Your transcript that you send as part of your application is where you should list all your courses and their sources (e.g., TPS – The Potter’s School). You should also include grade records (official transcripts recommended) from your course providers. But you should not list any of those course providers as your school of record in the application.

If you receive a TPS official transcript, you may also request a “school profile” document from TPS to include with your transcript. This profile provides information about the rigor and scope of TPS courses and enhances your ranking. If you are a TPS diploma student, you may ask your TPS adviser for guidance with this process (but you should not list your TPS adviser as your “guidance counselor” on any application).

Here is more information about applying to college as a homeschooler.

Applying to non-U.S. colleges

Most non-U.S. colleges do not recognize home education (or “self-managed education”), so you will almost surely need an accredited transcript for all of your courses (TPS and non-TPS) for all four years of high school. You will also want to ask the college how to complete any parts of the application that do not apply to you. In filling out the forms, do not just list some school (including TPS) or enter some address of one of your local or online course providers, as this could lead to problems with the reviewers understanding and processing your application.