“Shakespeare will not make us better … but he may teach us how to overhear ourselves…” — Harold Bloom
Reading novels today is usually an escape. By contrast, study of the “Classics” calls us to meet ourselves. These “Great Books” trace the origins and development of history, science, philosophy, politics, religion, culture, society and worldview. The emergence and shaping of Western freedom and individualism is found in their discourse seeking universal truths and timeless values.
TPS studies the Great Books. TPS students read important literary works, analyze them in class discussions, and compose polished essays that explain and defend their analysis. Every TPS literature course also teaches analytical essay writing.
TPS offers multiple high school Lit and Comp courses:
- English 4/5 Lit Survey and Composition (Honors)
- English 4/5/6 Western Lit and Comp (Virgil, Dante, Shakespeare, Defoe and more)
- English 4/5/6 Western Lit and Comp (Homer, Beowulf, Cervantes, Twain and more)
- English 4/5/6 Arthurian Lit and Comp
- English 4/5/6 Children’s Lit Analysis and Comp
Students typically take two or more English 4/5/6 courses. They may generally be taken in any order, though some sequences may be better for some purposes (e.g., preparation for a particular AP course). On a transcript, the courses will be listed to differentiate them in the best interest of the student while meeting guidelines of the applicable accrediting and certifying organization(s). Please consult TPS Support with questions about course sequence or transcripts.
TPS offers — in exclusive partnership with Belhaven University — a Great Books program that provides 24 college credits and 6 high school credits in two years of high school:
- Belhaven High Scholars (24 Literature, History and Composition college credits)
TPS also offers multiple AP® and college dual credit Lit and Comp courses:
- AP English Lit and Comp – TPS students are top scorers on this difficult exam that colleges accept for credit
- English 4/5/6 College British Lit and Comp (3 college credits)
- English 4/5/6 College American Lit and Comp (3 college credits)
- English 4/5/6 College World Lit and Comp (3 college credits)
TPS offers integrated History, Literature and Writing courses for upper high school, where each course is two credits (English and History):
- Bible World History, Lit and Comp (Honors) (English + History credits)
- Medieval, Renaissance, Reformation History, Lit and Comp (Honors) (English + History credits)
- Modern History, Lit and Comp (Honors) (English + History credits)
TPS also offers other high school literature and composition courses. Please see this chart and a complete list.
Are you preparing for a challenging college education? Do you want to understand the ideas that shaped the West and the world? TPS has Lit and Comp courses to give you an education that is not only world-class but also world-changing.
About TPS (at-tps.org)
- Online classes since 1997
- Grades 4 to 12
- Complete curriculum or à la carte
- Live interactive classes
- Top scholarship + biblical worldview
- Timely effective teacher feedback
- AP® courses with top scores
- College dual credit courses
- Dual credit classical program
- Accredited HS transcript option
- NCAA approved