TPS News, Information, and Updates
Welcome! This is the place to stay current on TPS information about courses, events, and opportunities.
The 2021 Yearbook is up and running with photo galleries, student bios, and interactive comments. If you’re not in it yet, there is still time. (The password is in your StudyPlace messages.)
In case you don’t read all our newsletters (or you’re new), review all our current featured courses and tracks in convenient pictorial layout.
Elementary School Classes. Uniquely purposeful and enjoyable for our younger learners (grade 4+) at home. Learn more.
AP Exam Top Scores! TPS AP students are top scorers every year: 48% 5 (top score), 72% 4 or higher. Learn more.
Be a High Scholar! Earn 24 university credits and 6 high school credits in the two-year “great books” Belhaven High Scholars humanities program for students grades 10-12.
College Dual Credit. Affordable credits, flexible options! Learn more.
Boost your summer! We offer a full range of summer math and writing courses to help you build up, catch up or get ready for 2021-22.
New Courses (you may not know to look for)
- Arts Appreciation for Young Explorers – In this course we look at the work of artists (of many mediums) from all over the world, past and present, and get messy with a creative activity for our hands and minds. This course develops little learners’ Critical Thinking skills through the Visible Thinking method. We also cover the elements of art on a beginning level…
- Reading to Learn 4 – Did your child master reading basics only to struggle with comprehension and retention? Do you have a reluctant reader in your home who could use an academic boost? Does your elementary-aged student need to qualify for a more advanced English class? Or maybe you have a child who enjoys good stories, but chooses titles below grade level…
- Eastern Kingdoms – A Survey of Asia’s History – Are you curious about…the development of yoga? The invention of fireworks and the cannon? The real story of Mulan? An ocean-going naval explorer 80 years before Columbus? The story of Indian curry? The origin of manga? The birth of Korean hangol writing? These and many more interesting topics are studied in this exciting course which focuses on the histories of India, South Asia, China, Japan, Korea, and Southeast Asia from around 2000 years ago to the present day…
- AP Human Geography – For the many people who have asked for this course, it is now in the catalog and available to strong grade 9 and up. Enjoy!
- AP Comparative Government and Politics – We have a great teacher and are pleased to place this course back in the catalog. Take this course, do well on the AP exam, and impress the college where you apply to study policy, pre-law, or anything related to world studies or government.
- CADD 3D Modeling – Artifacts to Architecture – A digital 3D model is a representation of a physical form, generated using mathematical equations. If the thought of complex math makes design sound scary, meet Rhino 7. Rhinoceros 7 is the latest 3D modeling program, and it makes 3D modeling easier than ever before. With this cutting-edge computer application, if you can imagine it, you can design it visually. whether your interests are making 3D printed jewelry or designing an elaborate custom aircraft, a wide range of design fields can be reached starting from this course…
Improvements and Updates
- Transcripts – We significantly cut the time and cost of getting a TPS transcript (with accreditation signature, seal and logo).
- Middle School Workload – We monitor our own courses carefully and we appreciate the feedback we get as well. Based on our ongoing reviews, we have reduced the workload in middle school English and Science courses a bit.
- English 3 Lit Analysis and Comp (Grade 9 English) – This is the course to take for every grade 9 student or maybe even older students to build a strong foundation in the essential skill of the analytical essay, so you can be ready for upper high school English and Social Studies courses, including college and AP. We have added a second version of English 3 to give students more options of literature and movies to discuss and analyze in their essay writing.
- Foreign Language “Honors” – We have redesignated our two-day foreign language courses as “Honors” (changing the title, not the course). The one-day and two-day versions of the same foreign language course cover about the same breadth of material, but the two-day versions provide more instruction, practice and evaluation of spoken language, and students gain more proficiency through them. Students planning to go to Year 3 or AP in a language are encouraged to take the two-day versions if possible.
Items of Interest
Teachers Wanted. TPS is now hiring teachers for 2021-22 and beyond. We meet with applicants throughout the year for the next upcoming school year, so please apply if you are ready to consider teaching with TPS for the upcoming school year. Courses of current immediate interest and other opportunities are listed on our Online Teaching Opportunities page.
Academic Calendar. The 2021-22 academic calendar is posted, including 2021-22 class schedule posting date, enrollment dates, and school breaks.
Messages, Classes, Assignments, Grades. Check those four StudyPlace icons regularly so you don’t miss anything or fall behind. Most information is more than one place (messages, email) to remind you. Parents have all the same info, but for all students in the family.
Start Here. Bookmark this page and start here for all things TPS. Here you will find the latest news, information and updates, plus links, menus and deep searches to every page on our site.