In this dedicated composition course, students analyze and discuss real-world writing to provide an engaging and accessible context for developing their own writing to a high school level. By studying good writing, students will learn processes and techniques of good writers and then apply their insights to their own writing projects. By analyzing well-constructed sentences for grammar and style, students will develop their own confident individual writing “voice.” Students will perform in-depth analysis of interesting written works — including book reviews, journal articles, persuasive essays, and each other’s writing — and then apply these insights to explain and defend their own writing choices. Every assignment is designed to show young writers how a particular audience and purpose provides the motivation to write and guides the writing process. By the end of this course, students will have a solid understanding of the key elements of good essay writing at the early high school level, and will be confidently prepared for high school writing.
English 2 Confident Composition
Course Catalog ID:
Notes and Requirements
Who should take this course?
- This course is not a complete English Language Arts course. Most students should take a complete English Language Arts course, such as TPS English 2 Lit and Comp, which provides integrated writing and literature instruction to prepare for upper HS and college humanities courses.
- This course is for grade 8 or higher students whose writing is less developed due to a late start or earlier lack of direct instruction. It is also suited for reluctant writers who have basic skills but lack confidence.
- Because of its dedicated focus on writing, this course is also well-suited for grade 8 or higher students concurrently in a literature-based humanities (e.g., “classical”) group who want to develop their writing with an expert teacher.
- This course is not suited for students below grade 8 seeking to accelerate their writing development (younger students will be referred to a suitable Lit and Comp course).
- This course is not suited for students whose primary language is not English. It does not assist with writing challenges that are generally experienced by second-language learners. Second language learners will be referred to a suitable Lit and Comp course.
Grammar Note: Students needing to strengthen their Grammar foundation are encouraged to take TPS Grammar Foundations for Elementary and Middle School Writing in the summer before this course.
Summer Preparation: To get an additional boost in writing improvement, students are encouraged to take TPS Writing for Middle School in the summer before this course.