TPS English Reading, Writing and Literature Courses
Why choose TPS English Reading, Writing and Literature classes?
- Top English Writing and Literature classes grades 4 through 12.
- TPS Literature courses all teach writing (compare with others that may grade essays but don’t teach writing).
- TPS Literature courses all teach analysis of literature (compare with others that discuss books but don’t teach analysis).
- TPS Writing courses (no literature) available for every grade level.
- Top scores on AP English Language and AP English Literature exams.
- Dual college credit in composition (writing) and literature.
- Master analytical essay writing for English, History, SAT, and ACT.
- Study of the Great Books (classics) of the western literary canon and world literature.
- Thorough series of summer grammar and writing courses specifically designed to prepare students for TPS courses taught during the regular school year.
What Others Are Saying
TPS English Reading, Grammar, Writing, and Literature Classes
Click the image below to open a new tab for easier reading (中文版).
Grades 5-6: Elementary Grammar
Grades 6-8 (Summer): Grammar Foundations for Elementary and Middle School Writing
Grade 7: English 1 Grammar Supplement (available only with English 1)
Reading Comprehension Courses
Build comprehension, understanding and thinking skills better in young readers.
Suggested English Writing and Literature Sequence
Other courses listed on this page should be added to this sequence where appropriate for academic level and need.
Grade 5: Writing Fundamentals 5
Grade 6 (Summer): Writing for Elementary School
Grade 6: Writing Fundamentals 6
Grade 7 (Summer): Writing for Middle School (alternates content each year, may be taken twice)
- English 1 Lit and Comp – Unlikely Heroes
- English 1 Lit and Comp – Journeys and Quests
- English 1 Confident Composition
Grade 8 (Summer): Writing for Middle School (alternates content each year, may be taken twice)
- English 2 Lit and Comp – Mysteries and Missions
- English 2 Lit and Comp – Uncommon Valor
- English 2 Confident Composition
Grade 9 (Summer): Writing for Early High School
- English 3 Lit Analysis and Composition – Intrigue and Illusion
- English 3 Lit Analysis and Composition – Justice and Journeys
- English 3 Confident Composition
Grades 10-12 (Summer): Writing for Upper High School and College (summer before English 4/5/6)
- English 4/5/6 Lit Survey and Composition
- English 4/5/6 Advanced Comp – Style and Rhetoric
- English 4/5/6 Western Lit and Comp (Virgil, Dante, Shakespeare, Defoe and others)
- English 4/5/6 Western Lit and Comp (Homer, Shelley, Dostoevsky, Twain, and others)
- English 4/5/6 Arthurian Lit and Composition
- English 4/5/6 Children’s Lit Analysis and Composition
- English 4/5/6 College British Lit and Comp
- English 4/5/6 College American Lit and Comp
- English 5/6 College World Lit and Comp
- English 5/6 College Composition
- AP English Language and Composition
- AP English Literature and Composition
TPS also offers other literature, poetry, and creative writing courses.
To find more details on these and related courses, please select the “English” or “Literature and Media Analysis” or “Writing and Composition” category in our Course Catalog.
Integrated Humanities CoursesHistory and Literature share a long relationship as the core "Humanities" and it is perhaps impossible to study one thoroughly without the other. This is why TPS offers a series of combined History and Literature courses from elementary through upper high school. The high school courses have the writing instruction integrated as well, so each HS course is a full History plus a full English (Language Arts) course, worth two high school credits. We also offer a two-year high school integrated history, literature, and cultural worldviews curriculum that earns 24 college credits. All of these courses may be used in the TPS Diploma program. TPS High Scholars - Dual Credit Integrated Humanities Grades 10-12: High Scholars (two years, 24 college credits) [insert page='518534' display='content'] Integrated Humanities Courses - Elementary through HS Grades 5-6: Elementary Humanities - History and Literature of the United States Grades 5-6: Elementary Humanities - History and Literature of the Ancient World Grades 6-7: Elementary Humanities - History and Literature of Asia and the Middle East Grade 9: American History, Lit, and Comp (Honors) Grades 10-12
- Bible World History, Lit, and Comp (Honors)
- Medieval, Renaissance, Reformation History, Lit, and Comp (Honors)
- Modern History, Lit, and Comp (Honors)
Academic English as Foreign Language
TPS English As a Foreign Language (EFL) trains students in academic English so they can excel in TPS late elementary, middle school, and high school courses — all taught in English — as part of preparing for the TPS high school Diploma Partnership and possibly attending a college where the primary language is English.