TPS Social Studies – All God’s People
“The earth is the Lord’s and the fullness thereof,
the world and those who dwell therein…” (Ps 24:1)
Social Studies (also called Social Sciences) is a group of interrelated academic disciplines that study historical and contemporary human individual behaviors, group behaviors, events, cultures, and ideologies. A biblical worldview studies these as elements of God’s created design and sovereign plan.
What distinguishes TPS Social Studies courses from those offered by others?
Psalm 24 provides a foundation and framework for study of History and Social Studies within TPS, resulting in several academic distinctives taught in all our courses:
- All things belong to God and all happenings are in God’s good plan.
- All people are created equal in God’s image, and we are all equally fallen and in need of redemption.
- We emphasize objective analysis of original sources and contexts so we can better understand matters that are different in historical time and cultural context from our own individual experience.
“Christian” social studies often create artificial distinctions between “secular” and “sacred” things, events, or people, sometimes with an “us versus them” polemic agenda. Our courses emphasize the eternal goodness of God and His plan, and the equality of all mankind in creation and fallenness. We study for understanding rather than for polemics.
Our goal in TPS History, Government and Social Studies is to prepare students to compassionately understand, respectfully engage, and winsomely influence their world for God.
Students who take a well-planned set of TPS History and Social Studies courses will have unparalleled academic preparation for lives as local and global Christian servants.
“Studying for this class was a joy, and the biblical worldview with which it is taught gives history its meaning!” Eunice T (student)
About TPS (at-tps.org)
- Live online classes since 1997
- 200+ courses grades 4 to 12
- Adjustable credit requirements
- Timely effective teacher feedback
- Biblical worldview
- Academic advising and planning
- Diploma partnership option
- AP® courses with top exam scores
- College dual credit courses
- Honors courses
- Delightful instructive elementary classes
- Clubs and social opportunities
- Accreditation and certifications
- NCAA approved courses
- CA A-G approved courses